The History of Hollin House Hotel & Restaurant
Hollin Hall was built in 1870 by Joseph Brooke Jnr with money that he inherited following the death of his father two years previously. The Tudor Gothic style was adopted by many of the wealthy mill owners, who also built properties in the area during the 19th century.
The front of the house possesses a Scottish feel to it, with its castellated tower, mixed with the shaped Dutch gables that were popular during the 17th Century.
Some historical memories...
The elaborate hall and stairwell impress the guest upon arrival.
Upon entering through the heavy front doors, the hall is crossed by a Gothic arcade on marble piers and a Gothic fireplace in the corner.
Above the carved staircase is a glazed vault supported on a highly ornate frieze. The lounge and bar to either side of the hall are also very grand. It is believed that Brooke must have run out of steam or money on the first floor, as the rooms are not as elaborate in comparison.
Henry Davenport purchased Hollin Hall in the late 19th century.
He made his fortune in America as a mill owner but returned to the area to live with his family, whilst still receiving an income from his business interests overseas. In the mid 20th century, ownership of the property passed to the local church, who utilised the building as an orphanage.
During the 1960s, the building was transformed into a hotel under the ownership of a Mr Lukic and was extended to a 54 bedroom hotel in the 1980s. In May 2003, the Hollin function room was completed.
Built from locally sourced Peak District stone, the design and construction of this attractive extension complement the original building perfectly.
Over the past 40 years, the Hotel has been owned and managed by a range of different operators.